Friday 3 April 2020

Visibility using Google Sites - DFI Session 5

Today's DFI session focused strongly on the concept of visibility. Making the planning, learning process, outcomes and assessment all visible and in the process, removing barriers to learning.

Visible for learners so that they can access their learning and next steps, visible for whānau so that they can participate and be involved in their children's learning, and visible for our teaching colleagues so that we can share our knowledge, ideas and resources. This is something that I aim to do with all my learning and teaching with my class, however I could extend it further with my own professional learning journey. Moving forward after DFI I think I will need to schedule time into my week that is designated for blogging.

We also examined the terms multi modal and multi textual as part of T shaped literacy and were challenged to consider how we can engage our learners so that they begin to take responsibility for their own learning. By personalising learning, we are empowering learners to become confident and competent. But we need to engage and entice them first!

As term 2 approaches we need to consider how we can utilise google sites and different media to engage our learners, particularly as some of them will not have the same adult support usually available to them during this lockdown.

Creating a multimodal site around a theme or big question for learners was a challenge for me today (possibly too many distractions at home, I struggled to focus and stay on task!) I know the basics of google sites and can definitely see the benefits of mapping out a site using good old pen and paper prior to building it. I found that I had way too many tabs and it was difficult to select relevant, appropriate and engaging texts and then arrange them on the site in a user friendly way!

The landing page of the multi modal site that I created for sustainability.

All a great learning curve and definitely a work in progress. I'm sure the more I create, the faster I will become!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Emma, you make an excellent point about some students receiving less support than others at home. I also made a note of 'does this resource stand up by itself?' I'm now trying to make sure my instructions are clear enough and there is enough scaffolding on the site to support all students. Have you used OneTab? It might help you out with all those excess tabs! See you next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phil, I absolutely agree with you about ensuring that instructions are clear and simple, and also that there are enough scaffolds - particularly as they can't get instant teacher input or feedback, or even peer support like they would normally in the classroom.

      Thanks for the tip about OneTab. I'll give it another crack!

      Delete
  2. Hi Emma, I really enjoyed reading your reflections about the day. Great to see you reflecting around how you can further develop how visible learning is for the students in your class (Particularly in the current context)! If you'd like to connect to go through some extra tips and thoughts around building a multimodal site I'd be more than happy to help. You're right though, the more you explore Google Sites the quicker you'll become!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gerhard,

      After this session I parked the sustainability site and had a go at building a site based around ANZAC Day for distance learning at home! Once I had the format of how I wanted the page structured it was super easy to duplicate and edit, so yes indeed, the more I explore the quicker I am. Will definitely touch base with you about some more tips and thoughts!

      Delete