Friday 1 May 2020

Computational Thinking & The Future of Tech - DFI Session 8

Today's DFI session explored computational thinking (part of the revised technology curriculum) which is timely as all schools are expected to be integrating this new aspect as of 2020. Being part of the Manaiakalani Outreach Programme means that our school is already teaching some of this really well. Our next step is to move forward and look at where we can go next.

Part of my role as the digital team leader will involve me mapping out what our teachers are currently doing across the year levels in relation to the progress outcomes and then how we can amplify this and do even more. As I currently have a bit more flexibility with my teaching schedule this will be something that I prioritise and start to work on next week.


So why are we teaching computational thinking? 

Because behind programming and coding is PEOPLE. We want to empower, equip and give our learners opportunities to develop technology in the future. It's not just about being consumers of tech, but also creators and innovators.

Slide taken from DFI New Digital Technology Curriculum - Computational thinking 
This also means that our teachers need to be fluent with digital technology so that they can empower and turbocharge teaching and learning. Empowering teachers initially will have huge flow on effects with helping to empower our learners and their whānau. The digital fluency intensive has been a great way to upskill teachers. Over the last 8 weeks I have learnt a lot enhancing my own digital fluency, and I certainly feel more empowered! I'm looking forward to being back in the classroom face-to-face with my learners.


This slide from Dorothy's empowered session really resonated with me - the device is not just a tool. It transforms the way we learn!

A great example of this is completing our DFI sessions online. The learning that we have been able to do in our own homes over the last few weeks with our devices has opened up a world of possibilities and removed a lot of barriers!


There are a lot of great resources online to support teachers with the revised curriculum. I've seen a couple of them but haven't really had the time to sit down and look through them, particularly the exemplars on TKI. One of my favourites was this one from the Raranga Matihiko site which breaks down the progress outcomes into student speak. I think sharing these with teachers will also help them to develop their understanding of what each progress outcome entails.

It was also great to spend a bit of time playing around on scratch. I have a long way to go with developing my digital fluency with this tool, but I need to to persevere and keep working on it. Thanks to Kerry for letting my remix her animation! I managed to add a second sprite and programme some text to appear. Still a work in progress but a lot of fun mixed with lots of learning!


Definitely keen to give this another go with my students, however I think I'll wait til I'm back in the classroom with my learners to teach this!

And finally, a question that stuck out for me today was "How are we empowering kids with remote learning?" I have a lot of optional tasks on my class site for students to complete and have tried to vary the create aspect. Every single child in my class now has a device and the internet at home so they can all access their learning online. Yet at the end of week 3 only half of my class have engaged with their online learning... Perhaps I'm not giving them enough agency? I know there are some other factors out of my control, but this is something for me to consider as I prepare next week's online learning tasks.

1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Emma. I'm pleased your're thinking about what your team is already doing and how you can amplify that in relation to the technology curriculum. I agree that we need to be encouraging students to be creators of content, not just consumers. I'm also thinking about the challenge of engaging those students who have access to the learning but are not opting in. I'd love to hear any success stories you have in relation to this engagement and am happy to discuss any ideas you have. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete